Wednesday, August 12, 2009

My Hermit Crabs!

Whats the best first post?
I pondered this for a while, before I decided to have my first post be about all my crabs!
Smuckers:
Species: Coenobita clypeatus (Purple Pincher)
Size: Large
Gender: Male
Smuckers was purchased yesterday(8/11/09) because hes gorgeous! See, I went in to get one, small hermit crab and came out with 3, including Smuckers. He has a beautiful deep pink(Yes, pink) coloring. When I picked him up at the petstore, he would not come out. When i stroked his big pincher, he opened it wide! Scared, but intreuged by this big guy, I decided to get him! Well, I soon learned he's anything but shy! In the car he started crawling around in the little cup he was in, and pryed the lid open!

Welches:
Species: Coenobita clypeatus (Purple Pincher)
Size: Medium(Almost Large)
Gender: Female
Welches is the crab in my banner. She's been with me for about 7 months so far. In the petstore, I was torn between her, and a very shy, pinkish crab aroud the same size. Well(obviously!) I chose her, and I' glad I did! She was very shy at first, and in a shell that's opening was broken, and that was way to small on her! Now she's very outgoing! She's my only crab that seems to enjoy being held, now she comes right out, and will climb up to my shoulder from my waist while im sitting on the couch! I'm really glad I chose her, shes become my favorite. (Shh, don't tell the other crabs!)

Tiny Tim:
Species: Coenobita clypeatus (Purple Pincher)
Size: Small
Gender: Female
Tiny Tim is one of the first hermits I got! She used to be very shy, so I never knew the gender for a while, so I just guessed male. Well, I was wrong. She has molted twice with me so far ad I've had her for 8 1/2 months. Shes currently in a shell thats huge on her, and I have another shell, of the exact same kind, only smaller, but she refuses to change. Funny lil bugger!

Spunkmeister:
Species: Coenobita clypeatus (Purple Pincher)
Size: Small
Gender: Male
Spunkmeister is another one of the first hermits I got. I got him the day after Christmas! He has molted twice with me, and after his second molt he turned dark purple. Just shows you what a steady diet with Beta Carotine can do! He used to be a very outgoing crab, but hes gotten shy, I think its cause he's been burrowed for so long from 2 molts, and is just not used to being handled anymore.

Lucky
Species: Coenobita clypeatus (Purple Pincher)
Size: Small
Gender: Female
Luky is a crab I adopted. I found her in the petstore one day, before the managment found out they can re-grow limbs, missing her big pincher! The person working at petsmart knows me, cause I'm in there so often, so she let me adopt the lil guy, free of charge. A few days after I adopted her, she dug under. I honestly thought she was a gonner, she had been under so long! I thought either PPS or a bad molt had claimer her, but no, one day she just popped back up! Her big pincherwas there, not full sized, but there! I thik safter one more molt she'll have a full sized big pincher!

Thumbilina
Species: Coenobita clypeatus (Purple Pincher)
Size: Teeny
Gender: Female
Tumbilina has a funny story. See, I was in the petstore with my mom one day, not planning on getting any hermits. Well, I looked in there and all the hermits where either climbing up in one of the fake trees, or digging in the substrate, but Thumbilina was just sitting there. Smack dab in the middle of their crabitat, eating what was left of her exo, and she was still a little bit pink from molting. Well, my mother refused to let me get her, so I talked to my brother. He agreed to let me borrow 6$ (Thats how much crabs in painted shells cost.) if I pay him back 10$, well I was desprate, and really wanted this crab, so I agreed, and the next day my mother drove me to petsmart to get Thumbilina!

Mimi
Species: Coenobita clypeatus (Purple Pincher)
Size: Teeny
Gender:Female
Mimi is just pain adorable! She refuses to change out of the turbo shell thats huge on her! She had lots of broken leg tips and a broken little pincher, but after she molted she has everything there! Mimi is a little bit smaller than Thumbilina.

Ava
Species: Coenobita clypeatus (Purple Pincher)
Size: Small
Gender: Female
I'm not sure if Ava is still alive. About 2 months ago, after she went through one molt with me, surfaced, looked fine, about 3 months later she dug down again for, i'm guessing, another molt. Well, its been over 2 months and she still has not surfaces again. I think she may have had a bad molt. :(

No Name #1
Species: Coenobita clypeatus (Purple Pincher)
Size: Medium
Gender: Unknown
This lil guy is easily stressed. He/she has streaked once, and has been de stressing for a while! I see him/her every once in a while, so I know he/she is still with me, but i'm worried PPS could be an issue with this lil guy/girl.

No Name #2
Species: Coenobita clypeatus (Purple Pincher)
Size: Teeny/Small
Gender: Unknown
This lil guy/gal is a feisty one! When I picked him/her out, she/he had just finished a molt and was still pretty pink, bearly started hardening on his/her back. I just put him/her in the corner and he/she did'nt move all night, but today when I checked on her/him, the big pincher was getting a nice purple tint to it and the legs had turned a little red/purpleish and had hair! She/he is missing one leg though. She/he changed into a petty turbo that fits him/her perfectly! But he/she is quite aggressive, when I picked him/her he/she came out, pinchers open!

No Name #3
Species: Coenobita clypeatus (Purple Pincher)
Size: Small/Medium
Gender: Unknown
This lil guy/gal was a pity buy. He/she is in a crappy shell with 2 holes, and he/she is missing 2 legs! I'm just waiting for him/her to burrow under and molt, to get back those legs!

Berry
Species: Coenobita Perlatus (Strawberry)
Size: Small
Gender: Female
This is one of the 3 Straws I purchased from the Hermit Crab Vendor. Sweet lil crab, loves to crawl on my hand, and changes shells a lot.

No Name #4
Species: Coenobita Perlatus (Strawberry)
Size: Small
Gender: Female
This is another straw I bought from the Hermit Crab Vendor. She's slightly darker than the other 2, and much more shy.

No Name #5
Species: Coenobita Perlatus (Strawberry)
Size: Small
Gender: Male
This is the only male out of the 3, he's very shy and I think molting at the moment.

Egg
Species: Coenobita compressus (Ecuadorian)
Size: Medium
Gender: Unknown
Egg, as well as the other 2 Ecuadorian's, was sent to me from a fellow hermit crab enthusiast. I named him/her that cause of him/her shell. Its all white and when I first saw it, the word Egg just ppped into my head!

Piggy
Species: Coenobita compressus (Ecuadorian)
Size: Small
Gender: Male
Piggy digs a lot, but also comes up a lot! He's a lil spitfire! Within the first day I had him, he had torn down the netting, and kicked coconut fiber into the freshwater pool!

Filly
Species: Coenobita compressus (Ecuadorian)
Size: Medium
Gender: Female
Filly is a great crab. Very outging and loves to climb. She dug down the very next day after I got her, so theres not much to say, cause I hav'nt had her very long!

Violet
Species: Coenobita Violascens (Viola)
Size: Small
Gender: Female
Violet is the most outgoing of the 2 violas I have. This is unusual for a viola, they are overall, a shy species. Violet is missing one leg segment, but I think shes molting at the moment, so hopefully she turns even more purple and gets that leg segment back!

No Name #6
Species: Coenobita Violascens (Viola)
Size: Small
Gender: Unknown
This lil guy/gal is Very shy. The second he/she see's me walk into the room, in him/her shell he/she goes! She/he is all red, no purple on him/her yet!

These are all the hermits I currently own!

~HermitCrabCrazy

No comments:

Post a Comment